Saturday, July 13, 2013

26.2 with Donna - Kick off run - 3.24 miles - 7-13-2013 - Details

26.2 with Donna - Kick off run - 3.24 miles - 7-13-2013 - Details

Today was the start of the training program for the 26.2 with Donna Marathon to End Breast Cancer which takes place here in Jacksonville on February 23rd, 2014. I was really interested in this training program because it is based on the Jeff Galloway Run Walk Run method. After reading Jeff's Running until you are 100 book recently, I think his program may really be the ticket to keep me active and in the game as I age.

When I arrived at the Donna headquarters a little before 7 AM the music was playing, water was set out and folks were scurrying around getting ready to run 3 miles.

When Donna was speaking she acknowledged a young woman in the group that was participating this year "with hair". The comment took me way back to the last time I saw my mother alive. She was standing in the driveway waving goodby with her noggin covered in fuzz and I knew it was quite likely the last time I would see her alive. Her diagnosis was in the mid 1980's and she passed away on, I believe, July 25th, 1998.

Since today was largely ceremonial it is not to late to sign up for this awesome program. Let's all work together to remove fuzzy noggins from from the face of the earth. Hope to see you there next Saturday.

No comments: