Saturday, February 11, 2012

Celery Fields Cross Country Run 2-11-2012 by addickens at Garmin Connect - Details

Celery Fields Cross Country Run 2-11-2012 by addickens at Garmin Connect - Details

Well, for the past week I have been on a self imposed active rest break where my only exercise has been on the Sole E-95 human torture device that sits in our lanai. I have managed to do a cross trainer workout every day for 9 days in a row totaling 300 minutes and a calorie burn of 2,446 calories.




You might notice in the above photo that one of these workouts was even completed without shoes due to the encouragement of  Shoeless Sonny in Carmel, IN. (All those barefoot running guys have catchy nick names)

I was planning all week to go out to the new Celery Fields park east of Sarasota for a little cross country run this weekend and Saturday morning couldn't come fast enough. I was on the road pretty early and thought it would be a pretty quiet place early in the day. I was sure surprised when I got to the park and found the parking lot almost full.



It turns out that not only is the park popular with mountain bikers, runners, walkers and hikers but also with bird watchers. I find bird watchers to be a curious lot but here they are filling a little gazebo near the park entrance.



If you click on the link for the Garmin Connect details page and then go to the map satellite view you will see the park and about half of my run highlighted in red.  I started out and went up the mountain bike hill and headed to the north. When I went down the hill, I crossed over to the north part that has a large pond called a sedimentation pond. I went around the east end of the pond and then headed west on the north side. 

On the west side of the park I actually went out to Coburn Rd. and south a bit looking for a way to go south along the western side of the central cell pond. Finding no access to the west side of the park I doubled back the way I came. I concluded I would have to look for access along the south side of the sedimentation pond. About this time I decided to switch to heart rate view on my watch. I looked at my watch and the display was blank. I then realized I had forgotten to charge it and figured I might as well just relax and enjoy the run. I finally did find access to the west side of the central cell pond and made my way south to Palmer Blvd. and back to my car.

I think the actual distance of my run today was in the 3.5 to 4 mile range but Garmin says 2.36 miles so that is what I will use in my record. Tomorrow I plan to repeat the run with a fully charged watch and add a trip to the section south of Palmer Blvd. to the end of the route covered today. The area south of Palmer appears to have some groomed trails. 



The above photo was taken from the top of the mountain bike hill looking north to the sedimentation pond.



No comments: