Tuesday, January 31, 2012

A New Display & Some Time Off by addickens at Garmin Connect - Details

A New Display & Some Time Off by addickens at Garmin Connect - Details

OK, I'll admit it. I have over done it. For the past week, maybe two, in addition to the usual occasional tenderness in a knee or two, I have been having some nagging feelings in a couple spots below the knee of my right leg that are vaguely reminiscent of the tendinitis that I experienced in my left leg after the 2010 Monumental Half Marathon in Indianapolis. Sunday I told myself that I would be very careful not to over do it and used my virtual partner to keep my pace in check. I almost called tonight's run off but since it was the last day of the month just couldn't bring myself to do it. I also didn't consider using the VP feature of my watch.

For the next couple of weeks I am moving to the cross trainer and will work just hard enough to elevate my heart rate. I do have a trail run planned for February 20th and will want to get a couple easy runs in the week before the event.

I have recently noticed adds for SportHooks that are intended to display the finisher medals handed to runners after many running events these days. I thought these were pretty neat but found the price of nearly $79 with shipping to be ridiculous. I set out to find a suitable replacement at a reasonable cost. After stops in a few Goodwill and thrift stores we ended up with a shelf ($2.99) to display the photo taken of me in the 1983 St. Louis International marathon and a large initial A ($2.99) with a couple places to hang the finisher medals. The A was white and scuffed but a trip to the Home Depot paint department ($8) solved that problem. We are both happy with my little shrine and even happier that we were able to re-purpose some items to do it at a reasonable cost.





So here we are at the end of January and my Garmin report for the month displays the following totals:


  • 17 Activities
  • 76.27 Miles
  • 13:20:38 (hours, minutes, seconds)
  • 5.7 MPH Avg Speed
  • 131 Avg Heart Rate
  • 8,458 Calories Burned

No comments: