Monday, October 15, 2012

Siesta Key Beach Run - 5.5 miles - 10-15-2012 - Details

Untitled by addickens at Garmin Connect - Details

Since I have the Beach Running World Championship this coming Sunday in Cocoa Beach, I decided to get over to Siesta Key this morning and put in a few more beach miles. I kind of thought I would pretty much have the place to myself on a Monday morning but found quite a few people out walking and running when I arrived. It was then that I realized that on Siesta Key, most people are either on vacation or do not work.

As I did on August 25th, I wanted to get some barefoot miles in. I headed north with shoes on and at 2 miles stopped and pulled off my shoes. I continued on with a shoe in each hand.

This area of beach is very hard packed sand. It is packed hard enough that there were actually a few bike riders on the sand experiencing no problem at all. The section of Turtle Beach that I ran on in August was much softer. I was forced rather quickly to a forefoot strike. Any heel strike at all was very noticeable.

I got almost 3 miles north and then had to turn back and head south. At about 45 minutes I stopped at the public beach shelter for a rest room break and water. Of the 5.5 miles about 3.5 were barefoot. This more than doubles the amount of barefoot I completed in August.

I was thinking that I might try to do the entire 10K beach run next Sunday barefoot but after today will not even try. I plan to run the 5K out with shoes on and then take off the shoes and run the 5K back barefoot.

No comments: