Sunday, November 11, 2012

Long Run Sunday 10 miles - 11-11-2012 by addickens at Garmin Connect - Details

Long Run Sunday 10 miles - 11-11-2012 by addickens at Garmin Connect - Details

I went out for my long run today with the intention of visiting the annual sand sculpture contest on Siesta Key beach. I did a little advance route planning and found that leaving from and returning to home would end up being a longer run than I wanted to do so I improvised and drove to a shopping center that I thought would be about right for a loop on the beach.

I got to the beach, probably a little later than I should have, and found it crowded. The snow birds have no doubt returned for the winter. I headed north on the beach with an eye out for sand sculpture. Finally after a mile or so a cluster of white tent like awnings came into view. As I got closer to this cluster I could see that the entire area was fenced with a temporary type fence and it was then that it dawned on me that an admission charge was in effect. ON A PUBLIC BEACH. Ok, I feel better now that I got that off my chest. Enough said.

I did manage to get a couple photos that give a vague impression of the sculpture so I will share them with you. Of course, if the public beach was in fact public, I would have had much better photos.










Now wasn't that nice? If you are so inclined you might find better photos at the website of our local newspaper, the Herald Tribune.

Now for today's run. I did manage to get 10 miles in after a little zig zaging through the parking lot that my car was left in. I am sitting here now with ice on the top of my left foot. The top of my foot was sore after my long run last week and I reasoned that it was due to having my shoe to tight. I iced it a couple times during the week and was hoping for the best. Well, it would not be to bright to continue half marathon training over the next few weeks with my foot requiring ice after every long run. 

I've checked and the Mount Dora half marathon that I was planning to run on December 16th also has a 5K. I would most likely be able to change to the 5K if I feel necessary so at this point, I will take a week off of running and return to the cross trainer. Darn. After a week off I will start back with walking and then progress slowly to see how much I can do without injury. If necessary I will run the 5K on December 16th.

No comments: