Saturday, November 24, 2012

One Happy Island - 4 Miles - 11-20-2012 by addickens at Garmin Connect - Details

One Happy Island - 4 Miles - 11-20-2012 by addickens at Garmin Connect - Details

I disembarked the Grand Princess early on Tuesday the 20th in Oranjestad Aruba and headed out of the port to the road that runs along the coast for a short run.  As I walked along I saw a parked car and noticed that the license plate said "One Happy Island". I got a little smile on my face as I could almost hear the reggae music in the background. It was about this time that I noticed the rows of barbed wire along the top of the fence that surrounded the port facility. Well, maybe not everyone is happy.

I had my route figured out and in fact saw some others from my ship also heading out for the same purpose. I turned to the left and headed north carefully picking my way along unfamiliar territory. I noticed that the drivers are driving on the right side of the road but most of the cars apparently come from the US and are set up for left hand drive. I also noticed some pretty heavy diesel fumes from the trucks on this main road.

As I headed north I saw a logo that looked familiar and then realized it was a creative attempt by a shop owner to lure the American shoppers into the store. The store name was DCW shoes but the logo and typeface was identical to the familiar US brand DSW shoes. Only the middle initial changed. I kept going!!!

After a short while I got to more of a residential area and ran along some small hotels that appeared to be popular with American tourists. I made the turn at 2 miles and headed back to the port. Having run in Mexico before, I knew how oppressive the heat and humidity can be this far south. I took a couple short walk breaks and was soon back to my starting point.

When I got back to Caribe deck room #223 I found Deb dressed and read to go explore Aruba. Oh, good.

No comments: