Sunday, March 31, 2013

Eagle Creek Half - Here I come - Maybe - 3-31-2013 by addickens at Garmin Connect - Details

Eagle Creek Half - Here I come - Maybe - 3-31-2013 by addickens at Garmin Connect - Details

Since my weight has been climbing almost as fast as the stock market of late and it appears that we have located a home in Jacksonville, I knew it was time to get the training program in gear.  The half marathon that I selected in my home state of Indiana this year is the Eagle Creek Half just outside of Indianapolis in Eagle Creek park. This event is run on trails in the park and takes place on August 3rd. I can almost hear myself saying already, a half marathon in August, what was I thinking?

I signed up for the half marathon yesterday and kicked off a 16 week training program. In yesterday's blog post I reported that I stopped running almost immediately upon feeling a little "something" in my left calf. I was just shy of 3 miles at the time so I walked home, applied ice and heat and hoped for the best.

This morning I met America's Marathon Man for a trip across the Ringling Bridge. By the time this little jaunt was over I knew that I had an  injury to my left calf and need to take some time off. My 16 week training program is now a 12 week training program.  

1 comment:

jel5010 said...

Nice, easy pace for testing your calf. If you were still feeling pain then it was definitely time to stop and regroup. Hopefully the 4 weeks off will give it time to heal and give you time to get your housing situation resolved. Is the injury going to affect your cycling too. If not maybe you can get in some bike rides and some ET workouts. 12 weeks is still plenty of time to train for a half.