Monday, April 15, 2013

Every Mile is a Gift - 2 miles - 4/15/2013

I was happy to see that Amby Burfoot got a little extra press at RunnerWorld.com recently as he prepared to run the Boston Marathon on the 45th anniversary of the 1968 race which he won. I read a couple stories about this and was really most taken with his current day mantra of "Every Mile is a Gift".

In light of the events that unfolded near the finish line on Boylston Street today no truer words have ever been spoken. At work this afternoon I heard that there had been bombings at the Boston finish and couldn't check the news until I got back to my hotel room.  At this point all we know is that at least 2 people lost their life in this tragedy and dozens other have been injured. Several with serious injuries. I have to sit here and wonder, how many of these people will never run or walk another mile.

After a quick look at the news I changed my clothes and went down to the little fitness room in the hotel and ran two miles for those who died and were injured. When I got back to my room I realized that since I was using my newly refurbished Garmin 410 I need to get it set up to communicate with the heart rate monitor and my computer.  Somehow, that just doesn't seem to important right now.

1 comment:

jel5010 said...

Wow! I hadn't heard about these bombings until I read your blog just now. What a horrible tragedy and I'm sure security will be ramped up for future big running events including, gulp!, the Mini. Every mile is, indeed, a gift. Let's not forget that.