Saturday, December 31, 2011

Last Run of 2011 by addickens at Garmin Connect - Details

Last Run of 2011 by addickens at Garmin Connect - Details

I finished 2011 with today's 5 mile Tempo run. This was a pretty good week with 18.32 miles running which Garmin tells me burned 1,915 calories along the way. It's a good thing too because last night's dinner at Cafe Amalfi likely replaced many of those burned calories.

At the end of the year, Garmin Connect tells me that I went for 103 runs covering 485.05 miles and burning 56,007 calories. I think that since I have found out how therapeutic a quick 2 mile run after work can be, one of my goals for 2012 will include getting more total runs in. Since I am training for my hometown half marathon the 1st weekend in June, I think the total miles will take care of themselves as long as I stay healthy.

Ok, today's Tempo run was to be a mile warm up, 3 miles at tempo pace of 8:44 and a mile cool down. Well, I did a pace check during the 1st part of the 1st tempo mile (mile #2) and it was 7:07. It was about this time that I looked up shortly after turning the corner to southbound Beneva Rd. and saw a panhandler working the sign, taking the entire width of the sidewalk, with his back to me, right in front of me. I shouted "on your left" and my arm caught the corner of his sign as I went by. Garmin also tells me that my best pace on the run hit 6:57 during this time so it is no wonder that I slowed significantly during tempo miles #2 & #3. I need to learn to pick the pace up to a sustainable level without burning out.

Next week is a cutback week with my training plan backing my total mileage down to 15 with all easy runs. I intend to modify it a little with tomorrow being a rest day and kicking the year off with a run over the Ringling bridge out to St. Armand's circle and back on Monday which will be near 6 miles. The rest of the week will consist of cross trainer workouts with 10 minutes on the cross trainer equaling 1 mile running.

No comments: