Saturday, August 25, 2012

Half Barefoot Siesta Key Beach Run 8-25-2012 by addickens at Garmin Connect - Details

Half Barefoot Siesta Key Beach Run 8-25-2012 by addickens at Garmin Connect - Details

OK, in case you are wondering, when I say half barefoot, it means that I ran north on the beach for a mile and a half in minimalist running shoes (I-nov 8 - RocLite 235's) and then took my shoes off and ran back to the starting point barefoot with a shoe in each hand. Those of you that think I am strange enough to run the whole 3 miles with one shoe on and one shoe off, shame on you.

I started this run at the south end of Turtle Beach and intended to go 2 miles north and then 2 miles back. Since I had never traveled this part of the beach before I didn't know how far I could go. When the trail was blocked at 1.5 miles by a large out cropping of rocks I had my answer. As I turned I saw a boat about 100 yards off shore and realized that I must be at an area known as Point of Rocks which is said to have some of the best snorkeling in the county just off shore. I'll have to make a note to remember that.

My summary for the week is 5.33 on last Sunday, 3 on Thursday morning before work and 3.04 today for a total of 11.37. Unfortunately, after the run on Thursday morning I felt a tight spot in my right calf. I did some calf stretches before the run today and again had the same feeling in my right calf. I am afraid this development sentences me to the cross trainer in our lanai for the next 2 weeks while I apply ice and heat to the area. I consider a cross trainer sentence to be inhumane treatment but I need to get this leg healed up because I have my eye on the Beach Running World Championship in Cocoa Beach on October 21st.  

No comments: