Sunday, November 4, 2012

Run to Chalk Festival - 9 Mi. - 11-4-2012 by addickens at Garmin Connect - Details

Run to Chalk Festival - 9 Mi. - 11-4-2012 by addickens at Garmin Connect - Details



Since I had never been to a Chalk Festival and because there is a chance I may move from Sarasota for my next work assignment, I decided to combine today’s long run with a trip to the 3rd Sarasota ChalkFestival. In case you are wondering, a Chalk Festival is essentially an art form also known as Street Painting or Pavement Art, that, as you might guess, consists of temporary chalk art work on public thoroughfares. Of course, the roads were closed for the festival. 

 This photo was taken on Wednesday the 31st and shows the artist at work.



This photo was taken this morning and shows a member of the public walking the tightrope that is part of the completed mural.





First though, let me tell you about today’s run. I got up at 6 AM this morning and quickly realized that I had forgot to set my clock back and hour before going to bed last evening. Good thing though because it was still a few minutes past my planned departure time of 8 AM before I started the run. Sarasota was covered with a very dense fog this morning and I had to be very careful with street crossings to be sure I saw oncoming traffic.

I headed north on Beneva to Red Bug Slough where I did my little cross country cut through to Proctor Rd. The grass was still wet from the heavy fog.  When I got to Proctor I headed west and then worked my way through the residential neighborhood until I popped out on Bee Ridge Rd. After crossing Tamiami Trail I then worked my way through more residential neighborhoods until I got to Mound Street which runs along Bayfront Park.  This route eventually took me to Whole Foods where I had my 2nd breakfast of the morning and also purchased a large bottle of water.

When I got to the festival site I found large crowds and some very impressive art work based on the theme for this year’s festival “Circus City, USA”. I have to say that this exhibit was much more impressive than I expected. My recommendation is that if you ever have the chance to visit a chalk festival, go for it. I don’t think you will be disappointed. I could have easily spent more time there but was on a tight schedule.



 Wednesday 10/31/2012

Sunday 11/4/2012


After loosening the laces on my left shoe due to some soreness that had developed on the top of that foot I next headed back south on Orange St. at a slow jog to Hillview Street to visit the Southside Village exotic car show to benefit the Life of Riley Foundation. My barber is located in Southside Village and she and her husband Bill were displaying their 1956 Chevy Belair in front of the barber shop. I found Bill in front of his Chevy and said hello before taking a quick look at the other cars. Then on to meet my support crew for lunch at Chipotle on Tamiami Trail. 




No comments: