Sunday, March 30, 2014

JRC Group Run - 5 Miles - 3-30-2014 & First quarter summary - Details

JRC Group Run - 5 Miles - 3-30-2014 - Details

I got to the group run this morning at Jacksonville Running Company which is something I try to do on Sundays. My right knee was talking to me just a bit which I think is a result of the squats during my leg workout on Tuesday past so I decided to take it easy.

We ended up with a group of 7 interested in a comfortable trip through the cow tunnel. This turned out to be a very nice group that made an effort not to drop anyone.  This was a diverse group that included a woman about my age that was running a pace a little quicker than her normal. She has been running only 4 or 5 years and because she didn't want to hold the group back, she was pushing herself to maintain the pace. I could tell that with her determination she will soon be running that pace comfortably. Joann said that she doesn't mind pushing herself because she feels so darn good afterward. (couldn't have said it better myself)

Another in the group is an experienced runner, actually one of the group leaders, that had to take 5 months off due to health reasons.  She is now on the mend and was pushing herself to cover the distance. Jackie has been running over 30 years and knows that running is much like life. You get out of it what you put into it. She was out there putting one foot in front of the other planning her comeback.

We are now through the 1st quarter of the year and I have ran 188 miles so far in my effort to cover 700 miles this year. This week I start training for the Eagle Creek trail half marathon in Indianapolis on August 2nd. Last year this course clearly was more than I was ready for. I have done a lot of strength work since that run and hope to be ready by August for a more respectable showing. During the next 4 months I hope to build mileage and do at least one 3 hour run a month. I also have a 15K trail run in Georgia planned for the end of May to get some hill work in.

1 comment:

jel5010 said...

Nice run Allan! I hope your knee isn't any worse for the wear. Maybe a couple days off are in order. Sounds like you have a nice group of folks to run with. Enjoy!