Thursday, August 21, 2014

Morning Run - 6.35 miles - 8-21-2014 - Details

Morning Run - 6.35 miles - 8-21-2014 - Details

Today I decided to get my run in before work to take advantage of a cooler morning temperature. It was 80 degrees for my run at 6 AM which does not seem very cool but its way better than the sunny 101 degrees that I encountered when I left my office at 4:30 PM.

I intended to run yesterday morning but just couldn't drag myself out of bed at 4:30 so the run today was a must. I started at the Brooks YMCA and covered pretty familiar terrain out to St. John's Town Center, through the Cow Tunnel and then looped around Burnt Mill back to the YMCA.

Now that school is back in session the youngsters are out early in droves waiting for the arrival of school buses. I encountered one of these droves about 6:40 this morning with children that appeared to be sleeping standing up scattered all around a sidewalk outside of a housing community. As I approached I hollered GOOD MORNING expecting the drove to part and allow me reasonable passage through this section of sidewalk. No luck, not a movement to be seen anywhere.

I ended up weaving my way through this pack of kids and then when I was nearly to the end I saw a slight movement by the last kid in the line. Turns out he was moving toward me to pick up his laptop which was laying on the sidewalk right in my path. I jumped the laptop and was finally clear of this obstacle.

Well, this was only my 2nd run this week and there are only 2 days left. I am going to try to get out early the next 2 mornings and finish the week with just over 30 miles. On Sunday I start a new week. I will try to increase my long run mileage to somewhere between 18 and 20 using the Outside/Inside strategy that worked this last week. At this point I am planning on driving to the Y, so my car will be there when I am done, and running to the start at JRC. The unknown at this point is how early I can get to the Y.

No comments: